Help! speedo cluster not working!

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2008, 04:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! speedo cluster not working!

I have an 06' CBR 1000 and I was about to take a ride and when I took off down the road everything was working great, however about 2 or 3 mins into my ride I happen to look down at the speedo and all the sudden I have no tackometer, and nothing registering on either of the little digital screens, however my bikes still running good and I noticed I still have turn signal lights and a high beam light that still works, but whats funny is that I have no neutral light, when i put the bike in neutral......if anyones knows whatmight be going on or have heard of this on an 06 CBR 1000 please reply back to me and let me know whats the problem you can either post to this or e-mail me at jbryant2@gardner-webb.edu, thanks!

Old 07-05-2008, 07:01 PM
Default RE: Help! speedo cluster not working!

I would check the connection at the back of the cluster.

Old 07-05-2008, 08:29 PM

Did bike leave you stranded on side of the road? My dash went "Tango Uniform" right before stranding me. Charging system failier. Dash went out.. then engine lost spark power... Need more symptoms. but i would say start with the connecter on back of the cluster but if some are workig and not others its not that simple of a problem.

Old 07-05-2008, 08:47 PM

I agree the with the above....its probably either the regulator in the charging system or the stator....Mine was doing the same thing and it ended up dieing completely on me and it was the stator...good luck man

Old 07-05-2008, 09:10 PM

Ok well first no the bike is still running fine from what I can tell, I only rode another 5 to 10 mins after all that started to happen....well where do I look on the back of the cluster to see if the connection is good? because i have no clue, also if its my stator going out, what does that mean and how do I get it fixed?

Old 07-05-2008, 09:36 PM

You have to take your wind shield off to see the rubber covered connector on the back of the gauge cluster. And off with the hole forward cowl if you want to inspect the wireing. Also If you have a volt meter and are savy with electronics you can take off the left mid faring and check stator output voltage. Should be somewhere between 12.5 to 14.5 volts at 5500 rpms if i am not mistaken. Feek free to ask any and all questions about these systems. we are here to help...

Old 07-05-2008, 09:37 PM

As a matter of fact i have a spare stator and regulator rectifyer if you need them... not 100% sure about 04 to 06 compatibility though. I will check to see if they are the same part number if you need them.

Old 07-05-2008, 10:05 PM

Ok man, well I appreciate all this advice, and no I'm not really electronic savy but I don't know what to think man...well first of all i'll tell ya that this bike of mine only has 2800 miles on it and the only major mod done to the bike is a slip on scorpion exhaust but I kind of don't think that the wiring would be coming loose bacause nothign has been touched back there or anything so I was jsut hoping my speedo cluster was bad and that I'd have to get another one, I didn't think about it being my stator or alternator, but i guess it kind of makes since....see not the whole cluster is bad, the tachometer, and digitals are out, but you know the little warning lights that you have, from my understanding now the turn signals, and high beam light still work, so i don't know man, well there is one other thing but i didn't really think it was a big deal....I also noticed that when this happend going down the road when i did slow down to a stop after all that went out, when I pulled in the clutch and the engine rpms slowed down it didn't come all the way down, it stayed up alittle above where it usually idles for about 2 or 3 seconds then it came down to where it usually does, does this sound like anything that could be related to all that or not?....do you think the best idea for me is to take it to my local motorcycle mechanic that i trust and get them to check it out and see what they think??? or what?

Old 07-06-2008, 12:33 AM

I'd definately take it to the dealer to have it checked because electrical problems can be tricky even if you know what your doing and I dont think you'd want to be stranded somewhere if your still riding it even if its a mile or so its a long push.

Old 07-06-2008, 03:32 AM

check your fuses. unplug your connectors, and replug them. when i do work on my bike sometiems the cluster wont turn on. then i unplug/ replug and its all fine n dandy

Quick Reply: Help! speedo cluster not working!