CBR 900RR 1993 - 1999 Honda CBR 900RR

how do i tell if the stator is bad

Old 02-04-2008, 02:56 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how do i tell if the stator is bad

my batt is not recharging how can i diagnose?

Old 02-04-2008, 05:53 PM
Default RE: how do i tell if the stator is bad

Buy a voltmeter, if you are in the U.S. you can find a cheap one at Radio Shack or any electronics store.

The one I have is very simple, it has a positive wire anda negative wire connected to a 6 1/2 inch by 2 inch rectangular strip of lights. One section of lights light up when you are testing the alternator or stator....the other set of lights light up when testing only the battery, with the bike off.

Touch the wires to the battery and keep the bike off. See how charged the battery is by how many lights on the voltmeter light up.

Then start the bike and again, touch the wires to your battery. Now, if your stator is charging your batt. properly you will see the appropriate lights on the voltmeter lightup.

Old 02-06-2008, 04:37 PM

wheelyman,

Here is a fault finding chart for the charging system I believe you will be able to isolate your problem.

http://www.electrosport.com/05_technical_start.html

On the left side of the page there is the fault finding diagram it will get you to where you need to be..... I have printed it out and have a copy with my repair manuals.[sm=exactly.gif]

MT I really like that nick.[sm=icon_rock.gif]

Got to go [sm=icon_cheers.gif] [sm=gears.gif]

Old 02-06-2008, 10:00 PM

Thanks ZRX1, but what is a Nick?

Old 02-06-2008, 11:15 PM

I'm gonna guess your nickname...

Old 02-06-2008, 11:59 PM

aha! I am not the sharpest tool in the shed

[&o]

Old 02-07-2008, 05:12 PM

MT Wallet,

LMAO.... Yep it's your nickname you have there,[sm=signs007.gif] but then like most of us if we have one ormore of these things. you know if it hastyersor ****.... Your correct.......You will have a MT Wallet...... [sm=insomnia.gif]

[sm=icon_cheers.gif]

Old 02-07-2008, 11:30 PM

LOL! So true!

Hopefully though the one with **** becomes a more permanent fixture, like a wife!

Then it pays off handsomely

Old 02-08-2008, 12:56 AM

ORIGINAL: MT Wallet

Hopefully though the one with **** becomes a more permanent fixture, like a wife!

Then it pays off handsomely
Dear oh dear...a bike is much more in tune with your needs. Just promise me you won't cave in and sell the moto because she says it's 'dangerous'...

Old 02-08-2008, 02:29 AM
Retired Moderator ans All Around Good Guy

Okay, so your battery isn't holding a charge. Time to get a new battery??? Hold on there....the battery may be a symptom and not the cause. Charge your battery with a charger and go throught this tutorial to see which part of your charging system is failing.

What components make up the charging system?
The charging system is made up of essetially three compoenents:
- battery
- alternator (used interchangeably with stator)
- regulator/rectifier

The battery is the rechargeable power source for all electrical devices on the bike.

The alternator generates power to recharge the battery.

The regulator/rectifier is the link between the battery and the alternator.
The battery is a DC power source. The alternator is an AC power source. The rectifer converts AC to DC. The regulator probes the battery's voltage. If it is low, it allows the converted AC power to recharge the battery.

Many of you are familiar with charging systems of cars. Motorcycle charging systems are similar in concept to automobiles but do have some differences. Unlike a cars charging system, a motorcycles battery is still in use to power all electrical devices. Therefore, the battery cannot be disconnected even after the bike's engine is running. Also unlike a cars charging system (which is recharging the battery with full regulated voltage as soon as the engine is operating), a bike's charging system doesn't recharge the battery with full regulated voltage until above 5000 rpms or so.

Charging System Diagnosis
This tutorial uses an F3 but most of this information is applicable to most bikes. It is assumed that you know how to use amulti-meter.

Tools required:
- multi-meter
- assorted tools to remove fairings and the seat

Step 1 - Check Battery Voltage
- Remove the right side rear cowl, seat, and battery cover.
- Measure the DC voltage of the battery. It should be above 12.3 V.
- Start the engine and measure battery voltage @ 5000 rpms. Voltage should read between 13.5 and 15V
- Turn the engine off.

If the voltage was correct, go to Step 2. If it was incorrect, go to Step 4.

Step 2 - Check Current Leakage
- make sure ignition is off
- disconnect negative battery cable
- connect the postive lead from the multimeter to the negative battery cable
- connect the negative lead from the multimeter to the negative battery post
- measure the current leakage

NOTE: this step can cause damage to the multimeter if it is not set up properly for current readings. Check your mulitmeter's owner's manual for proper setup.

The current leakage should be no more than 1.2mA (this value may vary for your bike). If the current leakage is correct, the battery is faulty. If it is incorrect, continue on to Step 3.

Step 3 - Disconect the regulator/rectifier
- locate the the regulator/rectifier on the right side of the subframe. Disconnect the plug to the regulator/rectifier.

If continuing from Step 2, redo the current leakage test. If the current leakage is still incorrect, there is a short in the wiring harness. If the current leakage is correct, then the regulator/rectifier is faulty.

[color=#000000][font=arial]Reconnect the negative battery cable to the negative battery post.

If continuing from Step 1, continue to step 4.

Step 4 - Check regulator/recitifier voltages
Check the voltage between the red/white wire and the green wire of the connector.

The voltage should be identical to that of the battery. If the voltage is incorrect, there is a short in the wir

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: how do i tell if the stator is bad